Friday, November 25, 2005

Vatican City (11/25)

Today we got up early and visited the Vatican. We decided to do a tour with Context Rome -- a local tour company that employs only scholars to give their visits. We highly recommend them if you are traveling to Rome, Florence, Naples or Paris. Our guide's name was Christopher Longhurst -- who was currently studying for his doctorate in post modern art and the Vatican (yes, he explained to us that it was an oxymoron). Christopher's knowledge made the tour quite memorable. This was definitely the way to go (I did a similar tour with my Mom in '01) -- Shannyn enjoyed the history and the spectacle. Her favorite part of the Vatican was the Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel (the frescoes blew her away) and St. Peter's Basilica (she still can't believe that all the artwork in there was mosiac -- it looks like oil!). Mine is the Sistine Chapel -- still amazes me and I've seen it 3 times now. I can't believe one man did that entire thing. The tour took about 5 hours so after a quick bagno stop, we trekked out to find some -- yeah you guessed it -- food. Rick recommended a nice trattoria nearby so we hoofed it over to Antonio's Hostaria dei Bastioni. We each had some mineral water -- I prefer the frizzante (bubbles) and Shannyn likes the naturale so we each got a liter. We ordered some prosciutto and melon to share. For primi, Shannyn went with Spaghetti Amatriciana and gave it a "6" (yeah Shannyn decided she wants to rate her primi too). I got another risotto dish -- this one was good -- a solid 6. For secondi, Shannyn got the Pollo alla Romana (simmered in a tomato-based sauce with roasted potatoes) and I got veal with mushrooms. We also split some patate fritta and spinaci con garlic. This meal hit the spot -- especially after our long morning. By the time we left the restaurant, it was getting dark and it started to pour. I swear that the same dudes asking me if I wanted an umbrella at the Trevi fountain followed me to the Vatican. I lost track of how many times they asked me if I wanted an umbrella. I almost felt like buying one and holding it folded up so they would know not to ask me anymore. We caught a cab back to the hotel because it was coming down pretty good and we were pretty tired. Shannyn took a nap and I just relaxed and read a book. That storm turned ugly -- thunder and lightning with huge downpours for a few hours. I'm glad we just stayed in and didn't try to go out in that mess. We decided to go to the Garden Restaurant at the Cavailieri so we headed downstairs for a late dinner. Shannyn had traditional roman minestrone and spaghetti with venus clams. I went with a prix fixe special of sicilian cooking that they were featuring at the hotel. My choices were the king prawns in puff pastry with fried aubergines, tuna fish medallions in salmoriglio sauce with vegetable caponata and a dessert with sweet stuff that I ended up giving to Shannyn to eat. It wasn't chocolate! Shannyn decided to help me with my tuna medallions since they were more like bricks. Another awesome day in Rome finished -- we both went back to our room to contemplate our day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home